Thursday, March 23, 2017

March thoughts I can't let go of

I can't believe it's already March 2017!  Some things that have been preoccupying my mind or have been prominent this month:

1. Owls - my coworker helped save a baby owl near our office the other day! UCLA is the perfect place to save owls apparently--with some serendipity-- a wild animal advisor, a PhD student studying ornithology, and a facility manager knowing where owls lived on campus, all came together, completely randomly! to return the baby owl to its nest--where a sibling awaited and a mother watched from above. The nest is right outside our office and everyone has been very excited about these owls! 

Momma owl looking down on the babies

Saved baby! 

2. Universal Studios & Harry Potter World- so a few of us had a girl's day at Universal!  I had so much fun!!! I wasn't sure what to expect, but being in a complete make-believe world of movies is a great way to escape.  We got annual passes- so I can't wait to go again!!! The nostalgia of those movies is strong--and I felt like I was in a fairy tale world of Hogsmeade as we walked through HP land. 




3. Beauty and the Beast -  Talking about nostalgia...I didn't think I'd love Beauty and the Beast as much as I did.  I think I loved it so much because it took me right back to my childhood and I was surprised that I knew ALL of the words to the movie...not just the songs, but dialogue throughout the entire movie! Two thoughts- damn Disney, you sure know how to get into our hearts and minds and monetize that, and second, wow they did a good job, but I still stay loyal to the animation of my childhood.   I'm listening to a lot of "Tale as old as time" and am currently banned from singing it in my own home by Chris haha 

 4. Wild flower, Poppies, and Cherry Blossoms! - We got a lot of rain this winter so the wild flowers and poppies are in full bloom! We're planning on taking a trip to the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve on Sunday.  Pictures to come soon! Chris and I are also leaving for Japan/Korea next week and we matched our timing to see the cherry blossoms in Japan.  I hope the weather cooperates to make this all happen for us! 

5. Professional development - I'm applying to a professional development program for UCLA staff.  I really really really hope that I get in.  The application requires answering 6 questions and as what happens when I write all applications---I keep thinking, I wish I had done more! Fingers crossed that I get accepted.  




No comments:

Post a Comment