Thursday, March 9, 2017

February thoughts I can't let go of

February was the month of visiting condos!  But there are a few notable thing  that I want to highlight for this past month:


1. Pod save America

Okay, so listening to this podcast does not lead to minimizing the divide between liberals/conservatives, but it is a lot of fun to feel sane with others and more importantly its very informative.  The podcast with Katie Couric was my favorite...but also, does EVERYONE have a podcast now?

2. Walks on the Beach

My friend Emily was visiting for a day, and she requested we take a walk along the beach.  I recently read an article about why the brain loves the ocean and I 100% agree.  I felt so rested and refreshed after we walked along the beach.  I need to make it a point to do this more often.  I used to think I'd do this every weekend if I moved here, but that has not been true.


3. Apartments/Condos- what's the right thing to do ?

We're searching for a place to buy. It's hard to know what the right thing is to do! So far we've only put down 2 offers, though we have seen over 20 places. Each place is so different and we hesitate to pursue anything unless we both like it a lot, There is also a lot of conflicting advice that we receive from everyone.Some say you have to LOVE it, others say...it doesn't matter as much.  My favorites apartments are ones with high ceilings, a lot of natural light, and air flow,  and I can't see myself in a place without a lot of natural light and some air flow.  In any case, the search continues!

4. American girl doll and my story

Guys! The American Girl doll came out with an Korean-American doll! Why does this matter?  In college, I wrote a story about an American girl doll who was Korean-American for a post-modern/pop culture class. It was loosely based around my life and others whom I know. It's the only paper I kept (its at home in Korea) from college because I had so much fun writing it and I was so proud of it.  And now it's a reality!!  I am not sure why her name is Z. Yang--yes, there are people with the last name Yang, but the name seems more Chinese to me.   In any case, I think its an exciting development!

5. Networking

Networking gets such a bad name, but in reality its really about identifying new opportunities and making friends/acquaintances.  This month I've had quite a few conversations about the art of networking with people looking for jobs and it's reminding me of all the hard work I did when I first graduated from GT and was out to find that perfect first job.

I recommend this book - Knock Em Dead

1 comment:

  1. I need to read that book about jobs...and yes very interesting/exciting about the Korean-American doll!

    ReplyDelete