San Luis Obispo or SLO as locals call it is a city right smack in the middle of L.A. and San Francisco. It is a small college town surrounded by vineyards and wineries and not far from Pismo Beach. We drove up early Saturday morning with one of Kathy's friends and had lunch at Firestone Grill - a delicious, casual, BBQ sandwich place that is clearly a local and tourist favorite. The tri-tip beef sandwich is to die for, and it is less than $10. It was amazing, just be sure to ask for extra BBQ sauce.
We took a stroll around SLO downtown taking in the boutique stores and coffee shops and came across...Bubble Gum Alley! I don't really understand why this is here, but I had to take pictures and contribute my gum to the wall. It is literally a wall of chewed gum. Strange and disgusting, right?
Main street is very artistic, and I was intrigued by this bench and how you could grow plants on the sides of the seat!
Afterwards we got ready for the wedding and headed to Madonna Inn. Madonna Inn is a huge SLO tourist attraction and a place to stop by if driving through the city for a drink or dinner. It is such a unique place! Let's just say, lots of hot pink, very colorful, and one-of-a-kind experience.




In many ways, I feel it was the perfect place for Kathy and Scott's wedding- it was classy, yet quirky and thoughtful, new and at the same time familiar, and so unique and truly different. Kathy came down that golden stair case, instead of walking down the aisle, which I thought was a great twist. It's the first wedding we went to after our own, and I'm not going to lie, it was great! being a guest and I definitely felt a deep sense of appreciation for all the thought and detail that goes into hosting a party.
I also got to wear the skirt my mom bought me from Thailand, so double yay!
Congrats to the new couple :)
Sunday morning, we woke up early and headed to Scout Coffee Co. for some delicious tea and a pumpkin muffin. This coffee shop was so adorable and you could tell the owners really cared about the product and people's experience. They control every process of their coffee/tea from growing beans to serving the drinks. We took some early morning photos--
Huge bowls of honey tea with homemade almond milk!I also got to wear the skirt my mom bought me from Thailand, so double yay!
Congrats to the new couple :)
Sunday morning, we woke up early and headed to Scout Coffee Co. for some delicious tea and a pumpkin muffin. This coffee shop was so adorable and you could tell the owners really cared about the product and people's experience. They control every process of their coffee/tea from growing beans to serving the drinks. We took some early morning photos--

Good morning! There were NO cars on the street, this is what I imagine living in a small city is like. It's nice and quiet, no hustle and bustle.
Love the high ceiling and clean look of the coffee shop!
After a quick breakfast we headed to Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort for a dip in their outdoor private hot spring and Swedish Massage therapy! I don't have any pictures of the outdoor private hot springs but it was so much fun being naked outside surrounded by nature in a hot tub. Neither of us had had a Swedish massage before and were both in desperate need for some R&R. I think it was a great close to a relaxing weekend in SLO!
As we drove back to LA, we stopped by a very very small town (literally one street with stores/restaurants and two gas stations) for some delicious flatbread pizza at Full of Life Flatbread. We found this restaurant in a NYtimes article and reviews were outstanding. It did not disappoint.
Before we went to SLO for the weekend, I read many blogs and travel articles about the city and how to make for a good weekend getaway. I wish we had had a chance to ride ATVs on Pismo beach sand dunes- but with Chris' neck condition, we thought massages would be smarter. It was a very relaxing weekend and nice to getaway from LA traffic and noise, and to really see the landscape of Central California. I never get sick of driving along the PCH and looking out into the ocean and I'm thankful for happy excuse to spend time in SLO.














No comments:
Post a Comment