Here is where we went:
1) Kyoto Market Nishiki
2) Fushimi Inari Shrine
3) Main street of Gion (Geisha district)
4) Arashiyama Bamboo Grove & Tenryuji Zen temple
5) Ryoan-ji
6) Kinkakuji (Golden temple)
7) A handful of other temples and shrines
And we stayed one night in a futuristic capsules and another in a tiny tiny hotel room as all Japanese hotel rooms are!
I really fell in love with Kyoto and the time we spent there was too short. The streets are narrow, old, and buildings lining the streets are mostly traditional. Unlike Tokyo, the city is historical and has somehow escaped the metropolis patterns of most Asian cities. There are also a million zen temples and shrines all throughout the city. Kyoto isn't as accessible at Tokyo for transportation, but had so much character and we found ourselves marveling at everything. At one point, we got on this one car, one-way train that passed through a tunnel of cherry blossom trees-- it was quaint, beautiful, and felt as if you've been transported to another time. I would really like to go back. Some pictures from our time in Kyoto.

Finally, a picture of vending machines. Japan has soooo many vending machines - and strangely (I may have mentioned this before) but not trash bins! We spent so much on vending machines, I think it was almost criminal, just trying every single kind of drink possible. Kept us hydrated as we walked throughout the city and kept us engaged in Japanese culture---in some weird way.












No comments:
Post a Comment