Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Torrey Pines Reserve + La Jolla Beach

Is summer over? It feels like fall, even though there is no change in the afternoon temperatures. Last year, I did not notice seasonal changes the way I do now, its the morning breeze and evening chills and the general feeling that it is time to get serious, at least until the holiday months.

We went to Torrey Pines State Park Reserve over Labor day weekend. Chris planned the trip and it was beautiful. When we woke up on Saturday morning, we slowly made our way down the coast (cause you know, traffic), and found ourselves among the slower pace, relaxed residents of Oceanside. 







After getting a quick bite and walking around the Oceanside pier, we headed to Torrey Pines Reserve. We ended up walking/hiking 9 miles! The park is right next to the beach and there are multiple hikes in the park. We did a few hikes that had breathtaking views of the ocean side, and then we followed one of the hikes that took us down to the beach. The rock formations and Torrey Pine trees are so unique and made me wonder at nature's power and beauty. The ocean water also connected with marshlands. For some reason, this is not something I expected to see in Southern CA. I loved this area- not only did you get to hike and beach in one place, but it was pretty empty and felt like a locals' area. I think it is one of my favorite hikes so far, and I would like to go back--next time we will be better prepared with parking and spend some more beach time! 


 These trees! They survive the ocean winds and though look like they are dying, they are resilient. I was amazed after reading about the park. The man who fought to protect these trees and this area, started at age 16. What was I doing at 16? Not saving trees that's for sure. I am thankful to people who fought and continue to fight to preserve nature and let us enjoy the wonders of this earth.




 Isn't it amazing?  We walked down the beach path, and this is where we ended up.  We then walked along the beach back to our car and I felt there was no better way to finish a hike than splashing around the water, cooling your feet, and watching birds fly over the waves in formation.

I spy...a bunch of rocks stacked up on top of each other. I wonder if it is Koreans who did that to make a wish. 

Just 15-20 minutes away is La Jolla beach with its seals, pelicans, and outdoor water activities. Apparently you can kayak, SUP, or snorkel/scuba through caves and see some water life up close. We got there just in time to see the sunset and of course smell the intense stench of hundreds of seals rolling around the sand and surfing in the waves! But boy were there a lot of people - I can't believe people would go through such lengths to get a selfie with a wild seal!! Seals were chasing people!! Which I have to admit was pretty funny from afar, but then I just couldn't contain my annoyance at people who would aggravate the seals moving closer and closer despite the seals' warning honk to get a picture. It is incredible that in the US we allow people to get close to wild life - but I notice in most of the rest of the world, you go on contained and monitored drives around nature reserves and you always accompanied by a guide. I don't know which one is "better" but I do wish that we who are given the privilege to freely roam these areas that we share with wild life,  are smart and respectful of their space. In any case, we are lucky to see these seals in close proximity and I hope some dumbo doesn't ruin it for all of us in the future. 


 

We will have to come back to La Jolla to swim with these seals :)

1 comment: