Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Whole 30 + West Wing (January thoughts I can't let go of)

My January consisted of two things:

 watching lots and lots of West Wing and the Whole 30 Diet!

West Wing

For one thing, I was on bed rest for the first half of January.  So I couldn't really do much but watch tv, read, and putter around the apartment drinking delicious boxed apple juice.  They gave me boxed apple juice at the hospital, and for some reason I found it comforting and delicious and continued to drink it while I was recovering. 

I watched 6 seasons for West Wing! SIX seasons!!!  There are 22 episodes in each season, each episode about 45 minutes long. Netflix became my best friend.  I had only seen Season 1 before, so I was super excited to have the time to watch it nd you know what, it's so nice to just lay in bed and lose yourself in the fake world of an idealistic presidency (or what you'd imagine would be a good presidency) and not feel lazy about it. I enjoyed bed rest.  I still have Season 7 left...and now that I'm out and about, I can't find the time to watch it. 

West Wing reminds you of what could be today's government. It's such a stark contrast that it's sad. I was also momentarily obsessed with the corresponding podcast, the West Wing Weekly. Ah...President Bartlett! I wish you weren't fictional!


Whole 30 Diet

A friend of mine bought me the Whole 30 book for my birthday. She and I, and another friend decided to try this diet ...well more like this philosophy I suppose for 30 days and we figured January was the best month to do this.   Once I was able to walk around and start cooking, I embarked on Whole 30 with a very reluctant and skeptical scientist husband in tow.  He only agreed if I cooked all meals. 

Week One: a lot of bad and bland food, a lot of chopping (Chris is usually the one in the kitchen), over-eating meat, and a lot of less than satisfactory taste buds.  

Chris every morning: "I have no joy in life" 

Week Two:  I discovered Nom Nom Paleo and online recipes that are more flavorful yet whole 30 compliant. And I finally learn how to use my Instant Pot pressure cooker!  Week two foods are much more delicious (I think the Whole 30 book recipes are for White people!) I need more flavor...more umami.  I'm inviting people over to eat dinner at our place because let's get real, eating out is tempting fate. 

Chris quits at the end of Week Two ...enticed by a barista at Starbucks to try the new smoked caramel latte! He also reads two pages of Whole 30 book and refuses to believe in these theories without peer- reviewed articles written by scientists! 

I go it alone...it is difficult, but hey, I made it half way already, I can't give up now. Plus, my friends are counting on me.

Week Three:  I have my go to breakfast down : Spicy Tuna Cakes!  Chris also likes these. I have a few recipes that I love!!  And so far so good. I'm getting a little bored though...and I am gearing up for a difficult weekend with Chinese New Years and several house parties...as well as a good friend visiting from DC.  

I notice I don't snack anymore and I'm happy without sugar in my life.  But I miss Asian food!! 

* The weekend was a shit show. Because of traffic and time constraints, I wasn't able to prepare meals or snacks before I went to my weekend events. I basically found myself starving all weekend and was extremely irritable. Seriously...this diet is too restrictive and I'm exhausted and annoyed come Monday. The weekend was not a weekend. 

Week Four: Home stretch!!  I'm basically furious all week because I'm still mad about the weekend! 
Funny how that was.  In any case, I finish the week- and this time realize I can eat Mediterranean foods that are Whole 30 compliant. This is awesome! I was really missing some strong flavors and getting sick of eating salads or plain burger patties when eating out with friends. 

Post Whole 30 Lessons 
1) I lost 1 inch off my waist, 1.5 inches off my hips! YAY!!!
2) I don't need to snack and I don't miss sugar
3) I NEED Korean food and other Asian foods in my life! They provide me with so much joy and comfort, and I don't think there is anything wrong with feeling that way.
4) I should stay away from gluten--especially pasta and poor quality bread. 
5) Food isn't as life/death/emotional to me as it was before...and for that I'm glad, but also sad. 
6) I'm happier when I eat more cleanly...whole foods, but this is very difficult to do when socializing! 
7) I would not have succeeded if my friends weren't also participating. We traded recipes and sent encouraging messages daily.  
8) I'm glad I tried this, it did change my relationship with food in ways I couldn't have imagined. But not eating soy sauce for 30 days a real challenge for me! I had a hard time accepting that such a small amount of soy sauce mattered. 

Chris and I have adopted some Whole 30 recipes into our regular meal rotations: 
- Pork and Cabbage Soup -so yummy and easy.
- Slow Cooker Kaula Pig -we made some adjustments here, but this is so versatile. 
- Pressure Cooker Crispy Potatoes - I rarely eat potatoes at home, but this recipe is yummy.
- and a new found love for Sweet Potatoes! 
and of course the Spicy Tuna Cakes!

And that was my January! 

1 comment:

  1. WEST WING IS SO GOOD.

    and I loved reading your week by week whole 30 updates, especially since I've been there (except i lost zero weight or inches for some reason?).. Nom nom paleo is so great..i've never seen the spicy tuna cakes or prok and napa cabbage soup before though, i'm definitely going to try them!

    ReplyDelete