Last Thursday I went to a Live Talk LA event with a friend of mine for the first time. The speaker was Daniel Siegel, whom I knew nothing of- but I was intrigued about his topic, mindsight, or the learning of the mind. I was so inspired by listening to someone share his passion with so much emotion and excitement. I walked away totally bought into the idea that "we are all from the same pond of potential, and when you believe that and understand that...how can you not fall in love with everyone". Of course when I tried to describe these themes to Chris later that night, I just came off as a crazy. (He didn't believe me that Dr. Siegel was a scientist!) In any case, you may find the event here.
This week Chris and I are going to listen to Lisa Ling!!! Lisa Ling!!! I'm so excited! Next month, I bought myself a ticket to see Maria Semple. I loved "Where'd You Go Bernadette", and to get myself psyched, I just finished "This One is Mine". I didn't enjoy it as much, but I did love its LA setting, and found myself looking up restaurants and iconic locations Ms. Semple wove into her book. I love these talks because they remind me of D.C.- Busboys and Poet talks and Sixth & I Street talks, and being around people who want to learn.
2. Swimming!!
I've taken up swimming this summer and I plan to keep it up until December. I love the rhythmic sounds of breathing I get into once I have swam a few laps. I love how I'm sweating but I don't feel sweaty. I love water. But mostly, I love how awesome I feel after swimming for a good 30-40 minutes. My mood is lifted and my body thanks me. That's what is keeping me swimming and the feeling I keep coming back to when I'm feeling lazy and thinking about just heading home instead trekking to the UCLA pool after work.
Olympic size pool hidden away behind pine trees. I am so lucky. It is so beautiful here and worth the uphill walk.
Cheesin~~ Look how happy I am after swimming the other week! I've become obsessed with swimming goals to the extent its getting unhealthy. Goals for the month- swim 1200m in 30 minutes; and swim 3 times a week. December goal- swim 1600m (1 mile) 3 times a week!
3. Self-defense classes
I want to get serious about learning self defense. The world is a crazy and unpredictable place and being prepared is really the only thing anyone can do. These thoughts come from having a long conversation with a group of women, one who is a cop, and urged us all to take a self-defense class, apparently many police departments offer them. I am lucky that I took the active shooter training before the UCLA active shooter incident earlier this year, I knew what I could do to protect myself and others. It definitely helped me feel in control of my situation.
I want to get serious about learning self defense. The world is a crazy and unpredictable place and being prepared is really the only thing anyone can do. These thoughts come from having a long conversation with a group of women, one who is a cop, and urged us all to take a self-defense class, apparently many police departments offer them. I am lucky that I took the active shooter training before the UCLA active shooter incident earlier this year, I knew what I could do to protect myself and others. It definitely helped me feel in control of my situation.
4. Babies
Every one of our newly wed friends from last year is either popping out a baby or are pregnant! If not pregnant, talking about getting pregnant. I suppose this is the age, we are thinking about babies! I'm excited about the idea of a baby, but so many things to get in order- student loans, home/apt ownership, school districts?!
5. Podcasts
The good ones leave you transformed and information or emotions I carry from the podcast seep into my day to day and force me to think differently about life. I love listening to story telling podcasts. And... I am scheduled to be a guest on a podcast this Thursday!! Fingers crossed it goes well, and I'm excited to see the whole process of podcasting before my eyes.
6. Lemonade's Red Miso Braised Short Rib
What can I say, I can't stop thinking about Lemonade's red miso beef dish that I scarfed down before the Live Talk event last week. So delicious, homey, and comforting. Can't stop thinking about it. Here's a recipe I found.
7. Weekend trips and adventures
It's official. I'm addicted to planning trips and seeing new things. There aren't enough weekends in a year for me to do everything, and rest, and sleep, and save money, and blog, and exercise, and see everyone...and work (not employment work (though sometimes I mean that) but working on myself. Sometimes I think I wait for the weekends because my weekends are too damn exciting. Today is only Monday, yet my Saturday feels light years away. We really cram in our weekends with friends, food, leisure, and activities and so much happens that things that happened yesterday seem unrealistically far away.


I love this post! So many good things..It's amazing that you get to swim outside in December? does that happen?? That red miso braised short rib sounds soooo good. Let us know if you try the recipe. And let me know what the podcast is so I can check it out!
ReplyDeleteHahah we will see if it happens in Dec. I hope so. The pool is heated apparently. I just finished the podcast...i am a little mortified, i hope i did well. It was to talk about a report i wrote for work. Will let u know when its out ...but im hoping praying its heavily edited !
ReplyDelete